I have an easy and fun recipe for DIY Cinnamon Pinecones with essential oils. Not only will this make your house smell like fall but pinecones make a great centerpiece or add a little fall decor in your home.
There are many health benefits to diffusing essential oils and can have a direct effect on your mood. This is why I ditched the synthetic fragrances and replaced them with essential oils.
When you inhale an essential oil the compounds enter your olfactory nerve and send messages to your limbic system. These compounds enter through our lungs and into our bloodstream effecting our entire body!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here
For more fall diffuser recipes visit the post Fall Diffuser Blends with Essential Oils.
Do you love the smell of cinnamon? The limbic system is our emotional brain and it's where memories are stored. Smelling cinnamon may trigger a happy memory for you like Grandma's apple pie!
DIY Cinnamon Pinecones
Add a natural scent to your home using cinnamon essential oil and pinecones. This also makes a great table centerpiece or beautiful fall decor.
- Gather pinecones and bake at 200 degrees for 30 minutes to kill any bacteria. Skip this step if you purchased pinecones from a craft store or Target dollar spot! I have linked to some below.
- Placed cooled pinecones in a baggie.
- Mix a few drops of cinnamon essential oil with water in a spray bottle.
- Spray pine cones thoroughly.
- Close the bag and shake to distribute the essential oil evenly.
- Keep the bag closed for a few days to infuse the pinecones with the essential oil.
- Alternatively, if you have pure cinnamon essential oil you can skip the water and spray bottle and add a drop to each pinecone. Refresh as the scent fades by adding another drop.
- To refresh the scent try mixing a diffuser blend from the recipes below and add that to your pinecones.
Try these fall essential oil combo's:
- 3 drops Cedarwood + 2 drops Frankincense + 3 drops Wild Orange
- 3 drops Eucalyptus + 2 drops Juniper Berry + 2 drops Siberian Fir
- 2 drops Patchouli + 2 Ginger + 3 Wild Orange
Diffusing essential oils allows us to support our systems by:
- Purifying the air
- Uplifting and soothing emotions
- Opening the airways
- Supporting healthy immune function
- Uplift the mood for an entire household
How does a diffuser work?
A diffuser works by releasing essential oils into the air. Diffusers work differently and your preference may depend on your lifestyle and needs. Here are some things to consider.
- A portable diffuser is a common option if you are a traveler. This also may be an option for your desk at work. These typically are powered through USB. These are great for long car rides and in hotel rooms.
- Ultrasonic diffusers are probably what you see in most homes. Through the use of ultrasound the essential oil molecules are released into tiny particles in a fine mist. Just a few drops can effect an entire room for many hours. This is also the safest option if you have pets because of the slow release of the essential oil.
- Fan diffusers are great for the outdoors or if you like a waterless option. These can also be battery operated which is convenient for picnics or camping. A few drops of essential oils are placed onto a felt pad and inserted in the diffuser.
Which essential oils do I use?
Again, there are so many options. Choose a recipe and go for it. You will learn which oils you like and don't like by simply trying them. Consider it a science experiment finding your favorite combinations (lab coat not needed)! This is a lot of fun to do with kids.
FOCUS: Lemon, Rosemary, Peppermint, Wild Orange, Basil, Frankincense, Vetiver
IMMUNE SUPPORT: Lemon, On Guard Protective blend, Clove, Cinnamon, Tea Tree, Copaiba, Thyme, Black Pepper, Frankincense, Marjoram
RESPIRATORY SUPPORT: Peppermint, Cardamon, Eucalyptus, Wild Orange, Rosemary, Lime, Tea Tree, Frankincense, Siberian Fir
CALMING: Lavender, Copaiba, Vetiver, Cedarwood, Frankincense, Roman Chamomile, Melissa, Neroli, Rose
UPLIFTING: Wild Orange, Cassia, Bergamot, Magnolia, Spearmint, Grapefruit, Eucalyptus, Lime
AIR CLEANSING AND ODORS: Lemon, Tea Tree, Lime, Siberian Fir, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, Cilantro, Wild Orange, Rosemary
As you can see there are many benefits to diffusing essential oils.